Monday 4 November 2013

33DC2013 Day 19 - Follow someone's tutorial


For today's prompt there was so much choice! There's lots of bloggers who do tutorials on a regular basis... therefore I limited myself to my own Tutorials Pinterest board. I've got two pins in there with similar techniques: Spotted nail tutorial and the Turquoise nail tutorial. You add a drop of nail polish to a bowl/cup of water and spray it with alcohol or hairspray. The nail polish acts like it's being chased by monsters and runs in all directions leaving a marbled vein pattern. You dip your nail in, clean up the mess and voilĂ , you're done.

Last week some polishes from Lucky 13 Lacquer arrived. I've been lusting after some of Kyoti's polishes for ages, the fangirl in me wants them all! Unfortunately my wallet doesn't allow it. But I now own 5 of her beauties! I needed an excuse to wear one of course, so I added one as accent nails to today's manicure.


From left to right:
  • Catrice - NEONaturals LE C05 Have A Good Day
  • NYC - 035 Cupcakes and Latte
  • NYC - 003 Prey of Grey
  • HEMA - 809 (white)
  • Lucky 13 Lacquer - Taking the Hobbits to Isengard


Taking the Hobbits to Isengard is part of Lucky 13 Lacquer's collection The Fellowship. In this collection there is one polish for each member of The Fellowship of the Ring (for those of you that haven't guess it yet, and if you haven't you've got some reading to do, this is a Lord of the Rings triology inspired collection). Taking the Hobbits to Isengard is inspired by Legolas. It's a shimmery mint green crelly with silver holo glitter. Lots of them as well, different sized hexes and squares... sparkly!



I love the labels on the bottle, they're not papery, but nice and smooth. I bought the shortie, a 10 ml sized bottle, you can get them in a taller 15ml bottle as well. I am wearing 3 coats of Taking the Hobbits to Isengard on my index finger and pinky with top coat. I love all the holo glitters and the fact it's not all hexes but squares too!



On my thumb, middle and ring finger I started with 2 coats of Have A Good Day, a shimmery grey. I used the technique from the tutorials to add a marble vein pattern. I don't have any spraying alcohol, so I used hairspray. I hardly ever use hairspray in my hair, so this was a very old bottle that did not want to spray in the direction I wanted it to... *grumbles*. The result does not resemble the tutorials that much, but I like it anyway.



First I did it with Cupcakes and Latte, next with Prey of Grey and I ended with the white polish. I do like the fact that each nail is completely different, and it does resemble marbled stone somewhat.




From a distance the glitters in Taking the Hobbits to Isengard resemble waterdroplets, the glitter changes face... one minute it's subtle, the next it's super sparkly. I've been wearing this for two days as I type this and I don't want to take it off yet! So I'll wait until tomorrow, then I have to get going for the next prompt!


Bonus picture: my right hand! My ring finger got a big blob of Cupcakes and Latte near the cuticle, so it looks a lot greener than the others. I will retry this technique sometime, either with a new bottle of hairspray or perhaps with alcohol (must get a spray bottle for that first).


I hope you enjoyed this mani, and Lucky 13 Lacquer's Taking the Hobbits to Isengard. Go check out her gorgeous polishes in her shop here! For the Tolkien fans, she has 18 LotR inspired polishes (The Fellowship collection and There and Back Again collection). And of course there's more!

2 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! This is another technique that I need to try haha and Lucky 13 Lacquer is one of my favorite indie brands!! I want all of her Harry Potter polishes but my wallet doesn't haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want all her polishes ;)... but yes, wallets... they are pesky!

      Delete