Friday 25 October 2013

33DC2013 Day 15 - animals


Today's prompt is animals and I knew right away which animals I wanted on my nails: owls! I know I'm not original in this, lots of people have done owl manicures. I have used my phone cover as inspiration however. Because I have used tons of nail polishes, I have moved those pics with lists to the bottom of this post.


The hardest part was choosing which owls I wanted on my nails, there's so many different ones on my phone cover. I went with blue, green and orange owls. I used 3 different shades of each colour for the owls to match the cover properly. I started with a base of Blue.Lita, using french mani tapes to cover the top and apply the base owl colour when Blue.Lita was dry. Letting everything dry took the longest to be honest.



If you look closely you can see my phone cover has dots scattered in the background, hence why I used dots on my index finger and pinky.



The owl eyes were done with dotting tools in different sizes. I freehanded the beak and hearts on their belly with my smallest nail art brush. The hardest bit was the line separating their main colour and belly colour, I'm very pleased I managed to get it looking crisp.


I loved these owls on my nails! Now the huge spam of nail polishes I used. I divided them by finger to make it easier.


Polishes used for my index finger and pinky:
  • NYC - 038 Blue.Lita
  • NYC - 246 Park Ave
  • Rimmel - 711 Rain Rain Go Away
  • Catrice - 865 Yellow Sub-Mandarin


Polishes used for the blue owl:
  • NYC - 038 Blue.Lita
  • NYC - 325 Raindrop
  • NYC - 246 Park Ave
  • Catrice - 400 Blue Cara Ciao
  • Catrice - 350 Hip Queens Wear Blue Jeans!
  • Rimmel - 711 Rain Rain Go Away 
  • Essence - 001 stamp me! white
  • Essence - 002 stamp me! black


Polishes used for the green owl:
  • NYC - 038 Blue.Lita
  • Catrice - 09 Hugo Moss
  • Catrice - 11 Miss Piggy's BF
  • Claire's - 283
  • Essence Tribal Summer LE - 04 TIPI-YA-YEAH
  • Essence - 001 stamp me! white
  • Essence - 002 stamp me! black


Polishes used for the orange owl:
  • NYC - 038 Blue.Lita
  • Catrice - 04 Orange-Utan
  • Catrice - 865 Yellow Sub-Mandarin
  • Catrice - 690/19 Fred Said Red
  • Catrice - 400 Blue Cara Ciao
  • Essence - 001 stamp me! white
  • Essence - 002 stamp me! black

I hoped you like them and I'm very curious what the other ladies have come up with!

6 comments:

  1. So cute! I adore owls & these nails are so adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beyond cute! And using 20 polishes for one mani is a respectable effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I counted 14 myself... some polishes were used for several nails (and thus are in multiple photos). But still...

      Delete
    2. Oops! I just counted the bottles on the photos. Impressive effort nonetheless...

      Delete
  3. I loooooooove your owls!!!! Super gorgeous and how perfect to pair them with the polka dots.

    ReplyDelete