Wednesday 23 October 2013

33DC2013 Day 14 - abstract


I struggled a bit with today's prompt, abstract. You can go in so many directions with this. I have wanted to try making stamping decals for a while now. You can find tutorials here, here and here. I decided to pick an abstract stamping design and go from there.

I used a huge amount of polishes, most just for minor details.


From left to right:
  • NYC - 034 Giallo
  • NYC - 023 Belvedere Purple
  • Essence - 002 Stamp me! Black
  • Catrice - 10 I'm Not A Greenager
  • Catrice - 04 Orange-Utan
  • Catrice Glamazona LE - C02 I Got The Flower!
  • Catrice - 400 Blue Cara Ciao
  • Miss Helen - 125

I started with a base of Giallo. Giallo is a pastel yellow with a delicate silver shimmer. I needed 3 coats for full opacity.


I used the following Gals plates (from the Fairy and Princess collections):



I stamped the design with the black stamping polish by Essence and let it dry on the stamper. Then I used a dotting tool to colour the dots with all the other polishes. When it was dry I added a top coat and let that dry as well.




It was easy enough to remove the decal with tweezers. Squeezing the stamper will release the edges making it easier to grab hold of it. It is very delicate and will tear if you're not careful. Before placing I cut it to size, added a top coat and stuck it on. I top coated the result to seal it in.



I took pictures when I did my first nails, totally forgetting to make pictures of the decal making part... so I did that for the "busy" design I added later. On my pinky I did a straight stamp and then dotted the tiny circles.




Decal making is fun, a bit time consuming with all the drying bits, but definitely something I'd like to do again. I hope you liked this and go look for all the other abstract designs down there *points*

12 comments:

  1. Love the end result. This a technique I've had on my list to try for some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks! You should try it, it helps if you have several stampers so you can make a few decals at once ;)

      Delete
  2. Love the end result. This a technique I've had on my list to try for some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so neat! I've never heard of making decals like that, I just got some new stamping plates. I'm going to have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I am certainly going to when I finally get my ordered MoYou plates (still waiting for them to ship it, Mother Nature plates are still preorder)

      Delete
  4. I love the density of dots and colour on the index. Don't get me wrong, the whole mani looks good. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :), I was worried it might look a bit off with the index finger and too busy

      Delete
  5. love love love love love this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo I'll have to try this! I've only ever coloured in stamps externally on a plastic sheet. Thanks for the tutorial =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Check the links in my post for more tutorials ;)

      Delete